top of page

An Implant is used to replace a missing tooth, failing root canal, or traumatized teeth.


A dental implant is a titanium tooth root that is submerged into the upper or lower jaw.


implants are placed generally where the tooth root used to be. The biocompatible titanium has a very special connection inside that allows a crown to be screwed into the implant. This may be done at the same time as the tooth is extracted or later after the jaw has healed and is free of infection.


Dental Implants and their applications for the edentulate and partially edentulate, continue to provide viable prosthodontic alternatives to conventional fixed bridgework, resin bonded restorations and removable partial dentures. There are psychological benefits as well as adjacent tooth structure conservation.


Implants used at Nambucca surgery are of the highest grade. They are made in the USA and Europe. The companies have been around for over 20 years and have large long-term data and studies. We see many patients who have traveled to undesirable countries and have implants poorly placed and of poor quality. In many cases, patients end up spending more money redoing this surgical work back in Australia.


Dr Samuel Martin has continued his study at the University of Sydney and has a Graduate Diploma in Clinical Dentistry - (ORAL IMPLANTS)




Diagnosis involves a complete patient evaluation to treat the “entire” patient. It involves decision making between the clinician and the patient to restore teeth with predictable aesthetics and functional results.


What is the success rate?




The success rate depends on where in the jaw the implants are placed. The lower jaw has a very good chance of success  > 95% The further back in the mouth you go, the lesser the prognosis, but this is generally over 90%. If you smoke, the chances of success drop by approximately 10%.

“””””These success rates are gathered by experienced clinicians.


Treatment planning:

Treatment planning involves a balance between clinical factors, anatomical considerations, clinician ability, and the patient’s preferences and finances. Understanding that cost is a major influence on treatment, a large percentage of patients may reject more expensive options involving only fixed prosthesis. Patients must be given treatment alternatives and make an informed, non-pressured and non-biased decision. Factors to be considered must include: longevity,implant cost, patients expectations, reversibility and retrievability, possible medical complications, time and visits involved, and the influence the treatment will make on their quality of life.

Careful patient selection and treatment planning appear to be critical in outlining important diagnostic factors and achieving predictable results.

bottom of page